5.16.2011

Hello world.

So the monstrous actuarial exam has been taken and (temporary) freedom is mine! I've been living in the real world again for the past week and a half, and I must say, I've missed it. I've spent the last two weeks making up for my lack of worldly existence by checking out new places that I've been longing to try and revisiting old faves for which it's been too long. This upcoming week will be no exception, and in between all the dining and cocktailing, I hope to have a little free time to post some reviews about a few of the new places I've tried or will be trying soon - but in the meantime, I want to chat with you about something very important - simple syrups. 

Go check your liquor cabinet - see that bottle of Collins Bar Syrup that you bought at a very cheap $4? Well, you spent $4 too much, my friend. Simple syrup is a bar necessity that just happens to be extremely simple to make yourself. Not only is it simple (and cheap!) to produce at home, it's easy to infuse with other flavors, and a great way to turn a basic cocktail into something that seems oh so fancy. Your friends will truly be impressed. Below is a new creation of mine using a berry infused simple syrup.

Basic Simple Syrup
Mix equal parts water and sugar in a small saucepan (I usually use 1 cup of each). Stir, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer for five minutes. Let cool and store in an air tight container for up to 3 months in the fridge. 

Violet Beauregarde
2 oz. Veev Acai Spirit
1 oz. fresh squeezed lemon juice
3/4 oz. Pomegranate Berry Simple Syrup (see recipe below)
4-5 blueberries
4-5 blackberries

Lightly muddle berries in the bottom of a glass. Shake Veev Acai, simple syrup, and lemon juice with ice. Strain into glass with muddled berries and ice. To create a non-alcoholic version for the kiddies, substitute 3 oz. soda water for the Veev Acai.

Pomegranate Berry Simple Syrup
1 1/4 C water
1/4 C pomegranate juice
1 1/2 C sugar
3 oz fresh blueberries
3 oz fresh blackberries

Place all ingredients in a small/medium saucepan. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer for five minutes. Let cool. Strain berries out of syrup, and store syrup in an air tight container in the fridge.  


Try getting creative with infusions like basil, rhubarb, or habanero pepper. Let me know what you come up with!

-B

No comments:

Post a Comment